PLEASE BE AWARE, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER DATA FROM LEGACY SOFTWARE TO OUR LATEST WINDOWS 10 RELEASES (2015 onward)
In order to transfer your existing data stored on one PC to another one, you will need to follow the instructions below:
In windows 7/8:
- Right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen
- Select “Start Task Manager” or “Task Manager” as appropriate.
- Go to the “services” tab.
- Find the “The Owl” service – right click and stop it.
In other versions of windows:
- Go to the start menu and click “run”.
- Type in the dialogue that appears “Services.msc”
- In the services window that appears, find and stop the “The Owl” service.
In all versions of windows:
- Go to start -> all programs -> the owl -> Open data folder.
- You should be able to see a file called “be”. Copy this to a memory stick or somewhere you can transfer this from to your new PC.
On your new PC:
- Download the latest version of the software at www.theowl.com/downloads.html (available via the green links on the right of the page).
- Install the software again using this up-to-date installer.
- Transfer the be file from earlier to this PC in memorable location
- Go to the services window through either of the methods above, and stop the “the owl” service again.
- Go to start -> all programs -> the owl -> open data folder.
- Delete the new “be” file here, and replace it with the one you transferred.
- Go to the services window you opened earlier, and start the “the owl” service.